Automated Bidding and Standard Bidding
There are now two bidding methods that you can choose from when configuring your auction.
- Standard Bidding(default): Bidders place one bid at a time. If a bidder is outbid, they'll receive a notification and can place another bid.
- Auto-bidding: Bidders can set a max bid when placing their bid. The system automatically places bids until a bidder's max bid threshold is reached.
Cancel bids and auction items
- Admins can now cancel a bid on an item. When a bid is canceled, the next highest bidder will become the top bidder.
- Admins can now cancel an item. When an item is canceled, it will result in the item not having a winner.
- The item reserve price is now editable if an item has bids. Previously, this was not adjustable if an item had received a bid.
- Added an anonymity checkbox to the Buy Now Flow, allowing bidders to indicate whether or not they'd like their name to be publicly viewable.
- The starting bid amount does not have to align with the bid increment amount. For example, you could have a starting bid amount of $20 and a bid increment of $3.
- Custom contact fields can be included as columns in your contact import.
- Custom contact fields and households will appear as columns in the contact export.
- The contact search now searches the company field and will return contacts that match the search terms that have been entered.
- When creating or editing a household, you can now add an envelope name for that household.
- Admins can merge tags from the tag management page.
- Added a "Continue "Anyway" button to the Live Display app for viewers accessing the Live Display from a screen that is smaller than our suggested dimensions.
- The "Share this Fundraiser" URL on a team member's page will now include the URL for that team member's page. Previously, this URL linked to the main campaign page.
Email and SMS templates
You can choose from six email or four SMS templates when creating a message in Engage.
To use a template, navigate to the
Engagetab and click
Start with template.
You can select the template you'd like to use from this modal and hit
Start with template. You can choose the contacts you'd like to send your message to and update the template before sending it to your supporters.
- Users can customize the link that their logo goes to in Engage.
- Added support for "Reply to" addresses in Engage.
- Timezone is displayed in the "Scheduled for" time in Engage.
- Duplicating Engage messages includes attachments.
- Test email messages cannot be sent when an account's domain is pending.
- Bidders who purchase an item using Buy Now will have their phone number surface in the Winning Bid information on the Winning Bids tab on your auctions dashboard.
- Bidders can delete a payment method they added when they registered as a bidder. Note that this can only occur if an auction has ended. Bidders cannot delete their payment method if items with custom dates are still active or if they have not paid for times they've won.
Updated the logic used to sort auction items on public-facing auction pages. Items are sorted by the groupings listed below. Active and coming soon items will appear above sold and unsold items.
1) Active and Coming Soon
- Active items will appear above coming soon items.
- Default sort is ending soonest.
2) Sold and Unsold
- Sold items will appear above unsold items.
- Default sort is ended soonest.
In cases where items end(ed), we fall back to sorting alphabetically.
- Surfaced more descriptive errors in the mobile app when a payment does not succeed.
New contact creation and edit form
We've made several improvements to our contact creation form and contact detail pages to make it easier to manage your contacts and support some of the new features below and in our 2023 roadmap.
When creating or editing a contact, you can manage the following fields:
- First, middle, and Last name
- Company and title
- Phone number
- Address: Automatically auto-completes the address you enter
- Custom fields (if applicable)
- Indicate Engage subscription preferences for Email and SMS
On the contact details page, we've organized the page into a sidebar and five tabs:
On the profile tab, you can manage the following:
- General personal information about a contact, including adding multiple phone numbers
- Add/edit addresses
- Add/edit social accounts
- Manage Engage subscriptions
- Add/edit custom field responses (if applicable)
- If the DonorSearch integration is enabled, you can run a wealth screening on a contact.
From a contact page, you can create a Household by navigating to the
Householdtab and clicking
+ Create New
You can also add a contact to an existing household by clicking
Join Householdand typing in the name of that household.
When you add a contact to an existing household, you can create relationships between that contact and other household members.
When a contact is a member of a household, you'll be able to:
- View all members of that household.
- Make a member the primary contact of the household.
- View the contact detail page for anyone in the household.
- Remove a contact from a household.
From a contact page, you can create a relationship for that contact by navigating to the
Relationshiptab and selecting
+ Add relationship.
In the Create Relationship sidebar, you can search for a contact and define the relationship between the current and related contacts.
- Added a new page to manage tags under Actions>Manage Tags. You can add, edit, delete, or search tags from this page. You can also click the number of contacts associated with a tag to see a list of contacts filtered by that tag.
As an account admin, you can now issue refunds to your donors!
How to issue a refund
Transactions, you can select a transaction and use the menu on the right (three dots) to select
From here, you'll select a reason for the refund and confirm the refund.
Once a transaction is refunded, it will have a
Refunds will be reflected in a donor's account in 5-10 business days.
If you do not have a sufficient campaign balance to issue a refund, the refund option will be disabled.
For more information, you can see our Help Center article on issuing refunds.
- You can now use a Givebutter domain when configuring Engage emails if you don't have your own email domain.
- Donors will now receive an email confirming their refund once it is successfully processed. This email includes information about transaction refunded.
- Import CSVs now add an "Errors" column in the error CSV download so you can see all the errors of a particular row and fix them in your CSV directly. The dashboard now displays the first 100 errors as a preview
- When setting up an auction, you can now disable anonymous bidding.
- The starting bid is now displayed on the main auction page when there are no bids
- When an auction item is canceled, we now display a "canceled" banner on public-facing auction pages.
- Sold items will now have a green banner that reads "Sold." Previously all sold items had a red "Ended" banner.
- Added a section to bid modal that better explains to bidders how auto-bidding works.
- When a bidder is registering, they can confirm their email via a code or a link if they're having trouble verifying their code.
- On the items page of the Auctions dashboard, admins will now see a link to TheShareWay when they have no items added. Givebutter is partnering with TheShareWay to help nonprofits source auction items from companies.
- Account admins can toggle supporter feed notifications on and off for all campaigns or on a per campaign basis. This can be toggled from Account>MyNotifications.
- Increased size of Download Ticketicon on the transactions details view for admins.
- Resolved several issues that prevented donations from successfully syncing to Bloomerang.
- Fixed bullet list styling in WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors to ensure text size is consistent with non-bulleted text.
- Added a "Campaign Code" column to the Campaigns table on the "All Campaigns" page.
- Campaign countdown timer will now show the number of months and weeks remaining (ex. 1 month 3 weeks remaining) so that it is more accurate when there is more than a month left in a campaign.
- Sharing a campaign team member page via email will now link to that team member’s page instead of the campaign page.
- Click “Load more” team members from a team page w/ more than 12 members should no longer load all members for the entire campaign.
- Launched the Givebutter Status page: https://status.givebutter.com/. This page will display the status for: Fundraising Pages, the API, the Dashboard, and the Marketing Site.
- The donate modal on campaign pages will no longer close when clicking on the background and instead only on the X button.
- The WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor for auction item descriptions now has an emoji picker.
- When using an auction filter, results will now sort by ending soonest first.
- When searching on the auctions page, a message now appears if there are no results matching a search.
The ability to import transactions is here! You can now have a full view of your donors and their giving history in Givebutter by tracking donations that occurred outside of Givebutter.
With the release of transaction imports, you can now import your organization's historical transactions or offline transactions that were not recorded in Givebutter.
How to import transactions
Transactions, you can click
An Import transactions modal will appear. From here, you can manually enter transactions directly into the spreadsheet UI or you can upload transactions from a file.
You can use this template when importing transactions from a file.
Columns with an asterisk are required. If a column has a tooltip, you can hover over it to see a description of that column and any notes or required formatting.
When uploading a file, you will be taken through several steps to:
- Indicate whether or not you have column headers
- Confirm the mapping of your columns to the appropriate field
- Review your import. When reviewing, you can identify rows with problems or show any modifications that were made in the prior step.
- Once you've reviewed your import you can submit.
Once you've submitted your import, via manual entry or file upload, you'll see a message confirming your submission. You will be notified via email once the import is complete. You can see the status of your import by clicking the link in the email or from the
Transactionspage, by clicking
Once your import is complete, you will get an email letting you know that the import has finished. You can click the
View Importslink to view more details about the import.
If an import has no failed rows, you'll see the number of rows that were successfully imported.
If rows failed, you will see:
- The number of rows that failed
- The specific rows that failed
New Transaction Fields
- Allows you to attribute transactions to campaigns that do not exist in Givebutter
- If a campaign with this title does NOT exist in Givebutter, we will create a new Externalcampaign. If a campaign with this title does exist, we will attribute the transaction to the matching campaign.
- The Campaign Titlefield will be ignored if there is a value in theCampaign Codefield.
- Campaigns created through a transaction import will appear in your list of all campaigns with the Externaltag. External campaigns are not editable and do not have a public facing campaign page.
- External campaigns will appear in the Campaigns filter.
- Allows you to list the external source of the imported transactions
- Allows you to list the transaction id that appears in your external source.
- Allows you to easily tie together transactions from an external source to Givebutter if needed in the future.
- The date that a gift was acknowledged
- If a donation was made via check, you can list the check number.
- This field also appears in the transaction details view and is editable.
Check Deposit Date:
- If a donation was made via check, you can list the date that the check was deposited to your organization's bank.
- This field also appears in the transaction details view and is editable.
New Transaction Filters
- Check deposited: Allows you to filter transactions made via check by whether or not they have been deposited.
- Creation type: Allows you to filter by whether or not a transaction is External.
- External label: Allows you to filter using any External Labelsyou added when importing external transactions.
Major Feature Releases
- Givebutter's mobile app
- Bulk End of Year Contact reports
- Donor Advised Funds as a payment method through our partnership with Chariot
We've made a number of improvements to the
home tabon the dashboard in Givebutter.
- Updated the onboarding flow for new accounts.
- Added advanced reporting that allows filter donation activity by date and campaign. Additionally, the donation volume chart and cards show you the percentage change compared to the previous time period.
- Made it easier to setup a Givebutter Element from the dashboard.
We've also rolled out updates to a number of other features within Givebutter:
- Live display can now display on screens with a minimum size of 900px by 600px.
- Added unsubscribe filter to SMS.
- Draft messages in Engage will now show the estimated number of recipients.
- Admins and donors will receive a notification every time someone comments on an activity in a campaign supporter feed.
- You can can now click "View" from the Auction Itemdetails page to open up the public-facing auction item page in a new tab.
- QR codes for Auction Items can be exported. You can export QR codes only or QR codes & item details.
- An auction can be deleted or canceled. If an auction has received no bids, you can delete it. If the auction has received one or more bids, you'll be able to cancel the auction. Any items that have already ended and have a winner will be marked as won.
- Bids that are disqualified will no longer show on the bid history feed for an auction.
- You can now add a manual bid on behalf of a registered bidder. You can do this from the Auction Itemdetails page on the auctions dashboard. The amount entered will be the current bid amount for that bidder.
In-person donations has been one of the most requested features for Givebutter. Our mobile app offers this and more!
With our mobile app, you can:
- Accept in-person donations via a card reader
- Check-in event attendees
- Get live campaign updates
- View transactions
- View contacts
Currently, the app is only available on iOS and is coming soon to Android.
- Download the Givebutter app
- Order a card reader to collect in-person donations.
- Lists all campaigns, with details like amount raised, number of supporters, goal (if set), event details (for events), and campaign type.
- Clicking into a campaign will show you all donations associated with that campaign. If you click into an event, you'll also see ticket details.
- On the donation details screen, you can click into an individual transaction to see information about the donor and their transaction.
- On the ticket details screen, you can search for ticket holders, see whether or not attendees are checked in, see the ticket type, and check in your guests.
- You can accept donations with a Stripe M2 card reader or enter cash/check donations. You can order a card reader or use a Stripe M2 Card Reader that you already own.
- Donors can select from 4 default donation levels or can enter in a custom amount. Covering fees is enabled by default for donors. The fees for all credit card donations made through the app are a 1% platform fee and the 2.9% + $0.30 processing fee.
- When collecting a donation, you can attribute the donation to an existing contact or create a new contact.
- Event attendees can be checked-in via the app's QR code scanner or manual entry.
- When manually checking in a guest, you can search by name or ticket number.
- You can check in guests or uncheck them in by clicking an individual ticket or swiping the ticket to the left. This will reveal a "Check-in" or "Uncheck" action.
- Lists all transactions associated with your account on Givebutter. To find a specific transaction, you can scroll or use the search bar.
- Clicking into a specific transaction will take you to a transaction details page. Here you'll see information about the donor and their transaction.
- Lists all contacts associated with your organization in Givebutter. To find a specific contact, you can scroll or use the search bar.
- Clicking into a contact will take you to a contact details page. Here you'll see the contacts email and phone number with shortcuts to email, text, or call them.
Just in time for the end of the year, we've streamlined the process to export End of Year (EOY) Contact reports for all of your contacts with one click.
Contactsscreen, you can click
A modal will appear that allows you to select the year you'd like to export. Select the year you're looking to export and click
Export Selected YearThis will generate a zip file of individual EOY reports for all of your contacts.
You can see your
Export Historyby clicking
View Historyfrom the EOY reports modal. You can re-download any reports that you've already generated from this screen as well.
If you're only looking to download a handful of individual End of Year contact reports, you can still do this from an individual contact under
Since Auctions has launched, we've been listening and introduced several improvements in November as well as addressed a number of issues reported by admins.
Sold Items Exports
- You can now export sold items from the "Winning Bids" tab. Click "Export Sold Items" and an email will be sent when your export is ready.
- You can now edit the start/end dates of an auction and/or items if the auction has already started. Previously these were uneditable once an auction or bidding on an item started. Keep in mind, changing the end date of an auction or item afterthe auction has ended will not re-list that item.
- Thank you emails for won auction items should render HTML properly and not display HTML tags.
- Resolved issue caused custom auction item dates to revert to the auctions start/end date in certain cases.
- Fixed a bug that prevented images from appearing in item descriptions
In Engage, the
Scheduledtab was renamed to
Outboxto more accurately reflect the status of messages shown in this view. The
Outboxtab displays messages that are queued for sending or are in the process of being sent. The
Senttab now only contains messages that were actually sent.
- Fixed issue that prevented account admins from editing roles or deleting other admins.
- Email content should no longer overflow when expanded on a contact's timeline
- General performance improvements to Engage, enabling it to be more scalable for large messages.
- Fixed a bug that caused imports to fail when extra white space existed in certain values.
- Improved error messaging for Engage phone number search.
- Fixed a bug that caused very long Engage emails to fail without warning
- Fixed a bug related to the team fundraising link not working when no team members existed
- Fixed a bug where ACH was not working on some embedded forms
- Fixed a bug related to domain validation during signup